View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
Hi Gents,

I'm curious if the Maggini's and Gasparos double basses around have labels or inscriptions ?.... Or are these instruments attributed to these makers ?
That is a very good question. I can say this though. Neither of them ever put a date on their labels so if you see one that is dated, it was either added later, the label forged or the bass and label a total wannabe..

I would venture to say that the labeling would be the same for all the instruments that they both made from the Violin up thru the DB. They both used labels and many labels have been taken out so some might have them and some not.

Most Maggini and d'Salos are attributed I would imagine. Also, most that are attributed are done so falsely from what I have seen. Also, some of the later d'Salos were actually made by Maggini when he worked in the shop.

Also, in the list of instruments from the 2007 fair in Brescia, there is a maker listed as Francesco d'Salo who was the son of Gasparo so there's another name besides Maggini that worked in the shop.