View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Ok..

Strings are here and on the Bass. maybe I need more FB Camber because I get a high freq. buzz playing an 'E' on the 'D' string, 1st. pos. No other E buzzes and the Eb almost buzzes. I think it is the String itself maybe. Almost annoying but will see when I take her our next weekend for a couple of Gigs.

They play and Bow much easier than the regular Chordas. The Plain Guts do as the others do sort of separate at the bends in the Tuners and changes color from yellowish to whitish as soon as they bend. I thought this was only a problem from the heavier Chordas I had before but does the same with these. I don't remember how the Labella's did in this regard. I just can't recall.

The Bass is a bit louder and wider sounding now but this is a loud Bass to begin with. I think I made the right choice using this Bass over the others for the Guts. I also put on the Pollmann Maple Tailpiece. Looks more uniform now. I think Hatpeg Gears might be better as well for Guts. Less sharp bending above in the pegbox. The Batchelder has some newer Rubner Hatpegs but sounds nicest with Flexocors so I left it alone.

The only downfall I can see at the moment besides the Buzz on the 'E' note G-string is the slight separation/color change when they bend around the Tuners. Is this normal? It's been several decades since I used Gut daily in High School and probably never even noticed it then. We had some of the Red colored Guts then I recall as well as the yellowish regular ones on some of the Basses.

Anyway, this is the start of something different for me. Phil? Where is that Bet you mentioned?