View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

I agree with Ken on this. I waited for at least one reply before answering.

I had one of these basses but was labeled Morelli. Same bass and same importer as well.

Look for this IF the Top comes off;

The Top and Back will be ULTRA thick in its graduations. Re-graduating will improve its tone. The Bass bar will most likely be integral if original as these were factory machined carved.

Repair whats broken correctly. Do not add to the bad repairs with more bad repairs. Have the varnish touched up to look as close to original and then leave it alone.

The neck overstand is way shallow and possibly in its original position. This will need to be done as well. Remove the neck, fix scroll and maybe if ok, keep and re-shape fingerboard if necessary. Or, new Fb and Bridge. If string length is long and an Eb neck, graft a new neck, D-heel. Set original neck lower in the Block as well if not grafted to help with the string length. Give us all the measurements of the bass as listed on my website. Ribs are measured without the top and back, always.

mine; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/double...orelliBass.htm

and b4; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/double...relliBass2.htm

By the way, that bass is an import made for the US market. There is no such person that ever made basses or violins by that name. It was made up for the import company just like Morelli was.

These are good basses once fixed. Some sound good even broken or poorly repaired. The difference? Repaired correctly they might and usually play better. Repaired correctly they also have a much better resale value.

Value now as-is? 1-3k.. Restored my style; 10k+.. Cost to repair everything? Here with my guys doing the work? 5-12k.. Depending what we see on the initial inspection and then modified after the bass is taken apart.

Results after the work is done my way? It would be a desirable 'cream puff' bass to play or own. The Morelli we did was fit for the best Orchestra after completed but a fine jazz player snatched it up. It was a 'honey' of a bass.