View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Chordas in use..

Ok, if anyone's still listening.. I did a rehearsal last Thursday night and Saturday morning with the Guts. After the Sunday Concert (the first of two Concerts), I questioned the other Bassists in the section and they think the Guts did just fine. Plenty of Pizz and Arco switching in this program especially in the 'West Side Story'. Steels would be better for some things but not all around. The Guts are way easier on my fingers for the Pizz. Also, we are playing outdoors so you don't hear the Bass coming back to you off a wall like in a regular indoor venue.

Tonight we did the second Concert at another Park and used the same Bass and strings. It was about the same results as Sunday (Fathers Day).

Although these may not be the best Guts for this Bass or for me on any Bass for that matter, I felt they had to be tested in action before passing judgment. I just wish I had a program to use the LaBellas on awhile back as I only played them in the office. Hopefully soon, I will test another set from them and try it on at least one Concert this time.

I am waiting for Labella to make me an Ext.E/C which I was told was possible. Then I will give it a better try the 2nd time around. Actually, I think I liked the Labella Guts a little more than the Chordas but it was well over a year ago and it was a different Bass as well. Not the best way to compare but it's all I can remember.

On the Lombardi Bass I had to move the Bridge up closer to the Fingerboard to raise the string height (after I set the sound post) because it was just too low and doesn't have any adjusters. I might just have Arnold make me a new Bridge soon without Adjusters for now and keep the Guts on this Bass. Moving the sound post closer to the Bridge (or vise versa actually) should probably help with a bad Wolf I have on the A-string. Also, making the string length longer (or where it should be) should help as well. Still, with all the 'fudging', I still enjoyed this experiment to date.

Also, I have been told that lighter weighted Basses are better candidates for Gut strings than heavier Basses. The Lombardi feel light in comparison to my other Basses so that's one of the reasons I picked it for the test.

Either way, it has been fun playing on these Guts for the last week in action. These Chordas are well made professional strings. Having very little to go by I can't say much more about them other than they sound nice and fat, like they look.. lol