View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMalley View Post
If I take it to, say, Mike Shank, how much can I reasonably expect him to work with me on setup for the right sound? How much change in sound can I reasonably expect? Mostly the bass feels really right to me--why I bought it--and sounds good.

How much of a luthier's time and attention would it be reasonable to expect? How much improvement might I see?
You can expect him to work with you to try and get the sound you are after until you either get it or decide to stop trying! Of course, I'm sure he'll charge you based on his time. I've probably made 20 trips to my luthier since buying a new instrument last April, and yes, I paid for all the attention.

Your bass can be tweaked to make it darker or brighter sounding. Your luthier might experiment with moving the soundpost, for instance. I'm sure he would have other suggestions. These changes might affect the "feel" of the bass. In terms of change in sound, you just have to see how your bass responds. It's definitely worth putting some time into, though I wouldn't expect miracles. If your bass feels right and sounds good to you now, you are in good shape!