View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Car mirrors..

The side view mirrors on many American cars are or were made by DelBar. One of their plants/shops used to be across the street from my old shop. I moved in 1998 to the current location about 6 blocks up and they closed that plant sometime since. There is another DelBar plant a few miles away as well. I don't know if they are still going or not.

One time about 14 years ago I took my Ford Van to get a mirror replaced (I'll tell you why later) and the service guy at Ford said "hey, these mirrors are made down in Perkasie by you!"

Oh, the 'why' I needed a mirror. My son Jon, then around 8-9 years old or so was practicing his golf swing on the front lawn along side of the house in our yard. Sometimes we hit a pitching wedge with a real ball with a half swing as the property is not long enough for a full shot. This time Jonathan was swinging a 5 iron, not a wedge. He turns to the side facing the driveway with my Van parked on the side in front of the house (facing away) and attempts to hit a real ball across the driveway, past my Van and on to the next property. His ball hooks in slightly along the length of my Van like a 'speeding bullet' and 'bulls eyes' my passenger side mirror!

I dare Tiger Woods to hit that shot with a hundred balls. The mirror by the way was bent in some facing the window making it even harder to hit. I was more amazed at the 'skill' of the shot he hit than I was mad at him for breaking the mirror. How can a dad get mad at his son for hitting a perfect shot?

So, what else is made in USA? A good Golf swing!