View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Angry EUBs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
This is totally off topic, but related. The bass-o-lin is not really what I was hoping for. Clevinger is one of those companies that will only deal directly with customers and there are no dealers. That bothers me, but I would like to have a Clevinger type instrument. The other thing that bothers me about them is that they are totally unwilling to customize anything.

It just occurs to me that if Ken Smith made an instrument similar in design to the Clevinger, it would be beyond compare to anything like that currently available. I know it might be like invading new territory, but the bass-o-lin is too much bass guitar and not enough double bass. I guess I could talk to that fellow, but it seems like too much of a hybrid animal and what I'm hoping for is an improvement on the EUB, although I don't like that moniker, I think the concept is a good one;- to have an instrument that is feed back free, that has a rich arco tone when amplified and identical dimensions to a DB.

Of the EUBs currently available, Ken, have you tried any of them or have a favorite or just an impression of how you view those that you are willing to share?
I have played a few and even owned a BabyBass back in the late from '68-'72 or so. Been there, done that..

You should hear my 5er with the Shadow PU and the SWR.. Wow.. My Loveri smokes, the Martini rumbles, the Gilkes scares, the Bisiach puts you back in the 60s and the Batchelder makes you cry all with the shadow pickup. Even my Shens sound and play great with an Amp and I have sold several Basses including the Italian Solo Bass, The Dodd and the Prescott that turned heads plugged in or not..

Why on earth would I even have a bad dream about playing on a 2x4 with strings on it? I like it real, gut shaking Bass notes with some old wood scarring the neighbors.. lol

Hitchcock's new thriller "Mommy, Mommy, The Bass is Playing"..

A Bass is a Bass and a Guitar is a Guitar. Toys are for children!