View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default toy companies.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I'm sure no expert, but seems to me like it should only be good for small companies and independent luthiers making quality instruments and gear. I do like my old Fender bass, but I couldn't care less what happens to the company now. And GC... don't even get me started...

If anything, maybe if these toy companies were to go under we could get back to looking at musical instruments more as real tools of the trade, and not just another mass produced trinket or wall ornament.
Well, if you have ever been to a NAMM show you might see just that, toy companies. Much of the goods falling in that category. Maybe the 80/20 rule applies here. Maybe 20% or less actual quality goods at a show.

Fender is an Icon in the Music industry and I respect them regardless of their acquisitions and product mix. Had this been a better economy over the last 5 years, we wouldn't even be discussing then.

Many many years ago SWR (way before Fender bought them) put out a great ad. The title with pictures of several brands of basses (us included) said "Judge us by the company we keep".

Based on that slogan, GC and Bain capitol are like a Boat anchor pulling the ship down. If GC goes down, Fender will be hurt but not dead. Independent stores on the other hand might start to thrive again once GC goes down by the wayside. Real estate owners renting out the 100+ locations to GC will have loses. The 1,000s of people employed by GC part and full time will be hurt as well. All of the other vendors giving credit to GC will also loose money. Some companies might fold if they have too many eggs in that basket.

This isn't totally about Fender. It's really about associations and risk. The stock market is healthy for the most part but some industries are struggling. A Fender IPO might be interesting if they didn't have that monkey on their back! With all their various companies acquired, they are spread kinda thin.

When GC went public, they raised money to open more stores and put more mom and pop shops out of business. When they were spending more than they were making, they were starting to look bad on their bottom line. Before a huge stock downgrade from their financial position was disclosed (I think), they were bought or bailed out (in part of whole?) by Bain Capitol. With all the bad PR on Bain right now (much of it deserved I'm sure) and Mitt Romney running for 'Job Killer and Chief', I don't think this strong connection with GC and it's bad debt is all that good for Fender's IPO.