View Single Post
Old 03-05-2023, 01:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Vesa Huhtala is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I didn’t suppose the bass being any of you mentioned, I apologize my imprecise impression. So, I have had several Rubners, (Joseph and mostly Otto) and couple of Wilfers (Emmanuel) in my shop, I know them. What I meant was to check my archives, cause I collected a lot of information to be sure of one claimed to be Joseph’s made, as labelled (It was). The method I have used is that I collect pictures of basses from certain area, scale then same size as bass inspected and use (photoshop) layers on each others, varying opaque to see if they are same form. Method has been good for bodies, scrolls, and f-holes, both form and placement. In a fact I used the method with this bass in question too and noticed it’s form somewhat similar to panormo(not any exact though). Sorry for pictures taken too close (fisheye effect) with phone so they look more “Germanish”. Upper bouts are not as sloped as e.g. Rubners and have “sharper shoulders” situated where the round backs fold is. The fold is supported inside by support bar and both are horizontally curved. I haven’t seen such in German round back basses. But there are always first times…
About varnish has to be remembered that being on Finnish attic means temperatures between 86°F and -22°F and humidity between 20% to 90%, thirty+ years…
About Rubner basses, I don’t know any other basses that has that about 3x4 inches size thickening on back under sound post, (already Joseph did have it). Joseph had violin corners and edges over ribs and Otto made gamba styled without those edges, similar to former Musimas and some USSR-based basses.
And I have forgotten to thank KSB: I have used your site years as a reference when dealing with my clients and insurance companies.
I’ve seen so many times disappointment in my clients’ faces when I had to announce that their worn out but intact inside italian bass is actually Hungarian hoax. Maybe it is my turn…

Anyway, I will continue researching, Thank you very much for your patience.