View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Smile Comfort Factor Response - from C. Rhodes

The owner of a local bass only store stated to me recently - "a lot of musicians do not take into consideration the shape of the instrument when making a purchase - the only consider the sound, tone and feel of the neck.".

His statement made me think of my Smith Basses. Smith Basses play extremely well while sitting down - better (in the sitting position) than any other because of the wide body and cut-outs for access to upper 20+ frets is easier - because of the body shape - in my opinion. Smiths feel bulky while standing up - but that can be a good thing - to hide my expanding waistline! But seriously...

Shape, size and weight are important factors. I tend to prefer lighter weight instruments on long gigs, however light weight instruments tend to be neck heavy - and thus neck dive to some degree. When that happens - I am spending to my time/effort balancing the bass - vice playing it.

I am not sure what the objective of this topic is ... but this is my two cents.

Oh yes - here is a video of me playing an MD-7 Ken Smith. It is heavy, but the tone! Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtLy4wtJy4k

All the best....
C. Rhodes