Thread: Bausch Bows
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation $500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Tuomikoski View Post
I just bought a good deal, a Bausch Bow in nice condition.

It is a German bow from the turn of the century.

Can someone tell me about this bow?

I just bought my new $5000 bass now I have an antique Pernambucco German Bausch bow for $500! It was 1/2 off

Is this a professional bow? It is exceptionally light weight, has nickel and ebony features, a dark pernambuco. It looks like this was restored and fixed a few times by this store. But it is nice.
Sounds a little fishy to me. This family was at the top in their time with all of them working only in the 19th century. This would be a rare find and I would estimate a Bow in playing condition with no breaks in the 4-6k range at a minimum. I would be VERY suspect if someone said, $500, half price!

LUDWIG CHRISTIAN AUGUST BAUSCH ( 1805 - 1871 ) Studied in Dresden and eventually set up his own firm in Leipzig. He combined the best elements of French and German styles, and achieved enough fame to be called the "German Tourte". His 2 sons, Otto and Ludwig produced bows until 1908.

Must be one other generation not recorded in the Books I have because they all die off in the 1870s, the sons that is.

In either case, you could have a Gem or a Bow you paid $500 for. Have an expert look at it if at all possible. Maybe, you need a refund and should return the Bow. I doubt that any Bausch Bow could be had for that price unless it's broken. Even a repaired Morizot sold recently for $2000 in my area and the Stick had been broken and repaired with a wire wrap up near the tip. A Bausch in the same condition would bring no less or more if broken.