View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 102?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pino Cazzaniga View Post
Thank you so much!
This is my first "Maggini influenced" instrument, as the musician's need was the right one to try it.
A period music instrument to be tuned DD GG C E A, with a short string lenght (102 cm, a bit more than 40) and a generous body size.
I think I will develop this design to make a modern double bass, the next time somebody will ask me to make a short string one, as I like more this shape now than before.
My Candi Bass when I got it was 39.5"/100.33cm but with a slightly short Neck. In restoration I had a new neck grafted (the other was not original either) and lengthened to 40.5"/102.87cm.

At the ISB Stefano Sciascia was playing it with Sergio Scaramelli watching and then they both looked it over and measured it. Sergio mentioning that he thought 102cm/40.15" was best for the Candi. I think .87cm is close enough as we were trying more to make it Orchestra ready than solo ready.

I thought it was very 'cool' company having both Serio and Stefano play and admire the Candi Bass which was the only one he ever made in his life. I think 102 is a good size if organ depth is not needed.