View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

Thanks Matthew! your the man.

Thanks Ken Smith, I did expect the honest opinion and thanks for your comments on the overhang and lining.

The lining is 1 inch and is made from cedar. I will not use it again because it is too splintery when the top comes off it will not be good, live and learn. The overhang on the photo you linked to the top was not quite finished. There is a healthy overhang though, but it is not perfect all around, it varies a little here and there. It blends in with the other imperfect things on this bass

Then you slipped in the "it sounds and looks beautiful". Thanks!, 'cause I know you are a straight shooter. When Josh was playing the Bach preludes, he just kept playing and playing, I sat there mesmerized. All he said was "Bach is a lot easier on this bass!" And "let me know when the varnish is on".

One more thing, you have no idea how many things were changed or influenced by your comments. The size, the depth, the neck overstand to name just a few! Either by a direct question of from other posts.

Here is the start of varnishing and antiquing. You can see the overhangs better here.
http://www.upnorthstrings.com/cornerlessbasspage20