Thread: Simba.. (SOLD)
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
my thoughts are that although I understand why you'd want to do it I think an extension on a lionhead always looks sad.

I haven't yet seen a lions head stuck up against the black door-jamb that in any way enhances the elegance and royalty of the carving.

if I had to do it I would try to ensure that the ebony was as minimalist as possible with plain fittings and screws so as not to detract from the carving with bling.

on jeff's lionhead I think I would try to use wood the same finish as the head , with just a slim ebony cap. to make it look as if it was done like that from the start.

them's my thoughts.
Interesting Matt. The problem is that basses in this range are made for Orchestra players. It is a fairly big bass, not a 3/4. Everytime I go to an Orchestra rehearsal or concert I need a C-extension for at least a note or two if not more. In selling basses, the thought of "can I put an extension on this bass?" comes up and the sale falls thru. My other Lion bass sat for over a decade in Europe un-restored and un-sold. After a restoration, a USA/Smith style set up with Arnold and a C-Extension, the bass was Orchestra worthy. It sold in a snap and that was a bass I planned on keeping!

The Bollbach Lion has a great sound, deep and powerful. It is Leon Bosch's choice bass to use when in the states over my former Fendt/Hart and Marconcini, two Great OLD basses. The new owner of the Hart is thrilled and the Marconcini (a 3/4) is now getting a C-Extension. Another bass I cannot use unless it has one. I have tuned down on a few basses just to use a particular bass but the Extension is the thing now. Gotta have one. The Lion WITH an extension will get more play now and more appealing as well as it can be used for everything. So, the artistic viewpoint and the players viewpoint are not the same. Consider all the great old Italian basses that would be unplayable if they had not been cut down as well as some French, English and German basses. They would sit and fall apart never to be used again. Or, modify them to be played and loved again.