View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hall View Post
Thank you both for the information.

And Ken, thanks for the additional info about the area and other basses of similar pedigree.

I agree some parts of this bass look rough, but I might have to take a look at it in person since it's local. Pictures can make some things look worse and others look better. What I would offer might insult the guy, though (he's asking 11k)
I have inspected many many basses and often the cost to restore a shop bass is more than its value in the end. Not all of them but many of them. Also, the varnish missing is an issue and a value deduction. Even shop basses like this had a decent varnish originally. You have to ask yourself, why was it re-finished or re-varnished? Which ever it is. Look close all over for sanding scratches. That is another no-no in the value because it highlights the re-finish.

The bigger the pedigree, the more the value loss with original varnishes. The lower the pedigree (as with shop basses), the less the loss is. Also, it is usually a value loss unless; it was done a long time ago, with better varnish than the original and looks old again as if it's the original varnish. I have a late 19th century German bass here that was either re-varnished or re-finished, in part or whole. But, I can't really tell. It could just be touch-up after repairs and then clear coated as well for protection. Regardless, the varnish is great. In this case, the varnish if high quality, done well and already aged by now, I see very little deduction in its value as the pedigree is not all that high but a good maker of its time.

Just be careful what you buy. Buying is easy, very easy. Re-selling something you just bought or bought recently can be hard, very hard. Especially if your trying to come close to breaking even on the re-sale.