Thread: My Solano
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Test the differences..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNaeger View Post
Those measurements are excluding the top and the back. There are times when I wish the ribs were narrower so I could reach around it easier, but it hasn't been a huge problem so far. I'm not really convinced that rib depth has any specific effect on sound either. I imagine its a bit like round versus flat backs. They're different, but I don't think it could be said that round backs sound one way or another compared to flatbacks.
The only valid test I could see possible is that the make makes 2 Backs, one flat and one round from the same lot of matched wood and varnished the same. Then putting one Back on and testing the sound, pulling off the Back and then trying the other one. This would have some scientific weight to it.

On the depth, play the Bass with the Ribs deep with each Back and then cut them to under 8" and try again with each Back. measure all 4 sounds and then you have another test of merit to debate.

Most of the Basses I have owned had Ribs from 7 1/4" to 8 3/4". I see not difference with rib depth or Back type. Since the Top is closest to the Strings and touches the Bridge it might be that we are looking at the Smoke and not the Fire!