View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Allen View Post
Hey All,
Im writing a paper for school about ways in which technology has affected the way the double bass is played in jazz and could use some help. two of the subjects Im discussing are string construction and use of amplification. I need to know when exactly steel strings came onto the market (i think it was some time during the 50's but a more specific date is what im after) and any info about how jazz players at this time responded to them: did many switch to all steel right away or was it more typical to have steel on the bottom strings but keep the gut on top? Regarding amplification, I know that early players such as Blanton played totally acoustic but what about bassists in the 40's, 50's, and 60's? Was their stage volume acoustic but then they played into a mic that went into some speakers out front or ...? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
-Aaron
I think to get even close on this we needs some old timers, really old I mean. Actually, I sub for one on occasion and can ask him. He's 93-94 now and still plays. I was doing a gig with a Concert Band one night and he came up to me on the break. He asked if I could sub for him on occasion on his monthly jazz trio gig. Well, the piano player is his son who is older then me but the jazz was more cocktail lounge type as the gig was in a Holiday Inn restaurant. I will work with his son next month and ask someone who has actually lived it, not just read about it.

I played Gut Strings in High School Jazz band in the late '60s as well as Gut in Orchestra. Steel was around but these old Basses in School all had Guts on them. In 1966 when I bought my first Bass from the Juzek firm in NYC, it came with steels. All of their Basses did unless you requested Gut.

I had a very old Amp as well at one time. It was whitish colored with sawdust mixed in the paint. A 10 watt, 15in speaker bass amp combo called 'The Ampeg Bass Amp', made by 'The Ampeg Bass Amp Co., NY, NY.

I picked that up from an old timer along with a Kay Bass that had an Endpin microphone up inside the Bass. That was from the 1940s or so as was the Amp I believe if not the early 50s. I don't recall now if the Bass was strung with Guts or Steels.

I watched many older Jazz players in NY including Wilber Ware and Sam Jones. They all players Steel but this was 1970 already. I even met Arvel Shaw and he was doing steels already.

I seems that when Steel came in, the Bass crowd was liberated and after switching the didn't look back.

Here are a few things to factor in as well..
1) The music was changing as well, not just the equipment.
2) The role of the Bass also advanced with more Solo and intro stuff even in the big bands and with Pop singers.
3) The Amps in the old days were no where near as good and nor were the Bass speakers.
4) The set-up of Basses changed drastically as well. Basses were often 43" and 44" string lengths and no one bothered to measure. You just played what you had, period. Many of the guys in the older bands played big basses to get that bigger sound, with gut strings and higher action. Just listen and watch to Arvel Shaw in the movie with Louie Armstrong 'High Society'.
5) The style in which they plucked then was more of a slap style that got more sound out as well. Somewhat similar to an Orchestral pluck but tapping the string between notes keeping the beat and a bit harder usually.

Do a UTube search for Milt Hinton and Slam Stewart.

6) The way we play now is more like a bunch of wimps as compared to these older guys bearing the elements bass-wise.. lol

7) But, you can't play the new Bass type jazz played since Scotty with that old method or set-up.

I was at a Bass Camp earlier this year where Brian Bromberg talked about Ray Brown's later revised concept.. 'Lower your action and get an Amp!.. Why kill yourself?'

The Evolution of the Bass in todays usage which is in the Orchestras as well with the Steels and lower action, is much like that of transportation or Life in general.

We now have running water, electricity, Cars in stead of Horses to get places and modern medicine (for most).. Penicillin.. lol

One seasoned Orchestra player while recently visiting a Bass shop picked up a Bass to try with Gut strings and commented "Now I remember why we got rid of those wretched strings".

I hope this helps as a general outline but feel free to ask about specific areas on which I've touched, or not touched if you like.