View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

I am only really familiar with recording not too serious songs at home, where I never play double bass. I've been in a number of more or less minimalistic studios, but only once in a band that sort of tried to make it sound good, and in a place with decent equipment. I believe we only finished one or two songs, but as I recall it, it/they sounded quite good. The guy who was the man behind the band was studying to become a producer, and I think he used it as some sort of exam, and he could be very pedantic. If you know a sound engineer that is a guy to be trusted, and who actually enjoys his job, that is good.
Also, always keep the first take. There is always something special about the first take. But of course, this is old news to most. Preparation of course. My teacher is going to record a CD with a bunch of Bottesini's small pieces. I think he's done most of the songs at least 15 times during concerts over the last months. Will you be able to take your songs onto the road? And rehearse them properly with the other people before entering the studio?

NP: Emiliana Torrini - Beggar's Prayer