View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation the fakes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
The button on the scroll looks pretty interesting, as do the F holes. I wish I could read the language that the description is written in. Has anyone played any of these fakes? I wonder if they sound any good, or how well made they are.
I have seen, played, bought, sold and had restored some of these antiqued basses. The ones I sold were with full disclosure so no guilt there. I can't say that for some of the other dealers that have tried to pass fakes for something 'possibly' original. I offer no forgiveness for deliberate deception.

The sound can be quite good like any bass can if well made and designed but in the antiquing process, this is were the quality can fail. If you find a bass that is an antiqued fake and you like it, consider buying it like any other bass IF, the price is right AND, you know everything if anything has to be fixed and DO consider that within the price of the bass when making your deal or offer.

Do NOT buy it because it LOOKS like an old Italian bass and in 'La La Land' it might be. Believe me, if it IS the real deal, the Dealer will NOT be vague about IT or the price. A $200k bass for only $50K because it is not 100% certified as that exact maker? Doubtful.

Ever try and beat a used Car dealer at HIS game? Good luck with that!