Thread: Music needed..
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pope View Post
Ken, being a concert band tuba player since high school, I checked a couple of different sources, including The Boosey & Hawkes website, Hal Leonard (who distributes the Boosey & Hawkes catalogue in the USA), a "public domain" scanned full score and parts, and well, Wiki to try to find further links. It appears there was/is only one part for "Basses"; no separate part for double bass, at least in the original concert band edition. The octave splits are for Eb tubas and Bb tubas and/or where the player wants to choose to "break back" the runs.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Second_Suite_for_Military_Band,_Op.28_No.2_(Holst, _Gustav)
I found the part on line because the Orchestra Version does have an optional String Bass part, not just the Tuba/Basses part.
http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/seco...s-p311160.aspx

I was just hoping someone had it and might scan me a copy. They Conductor doesn't seem to care if I play on that piece or not as I have one other to play in that concert and he 'offered' to 'let' me play one other piece. My feelings are if I am to play, give me music written for 'my' instrument as some of the parts are 2 and 3 lines below my 5-string DB. Some parts are written in octaves and some not but re-writing the lines for 4-string bass range, I don't know what octave to play them in by how the part is they gave me marked Basses. Even with the parts in octaves, the String bass part shown as an example is even an octave above the basses split part and MUCH cleaner to read. Now I have 3 octaves to look at and play one of them. The music is over-marker up now and strains my eyes as I can hardly tell what line the notes are I'm playing. Way too cluttered.

I might have to just bite the bullet and buy the part. I have one rehearsal next month (2/2), the dress reh. the following night and the Concert the next on the 4th. I might just go and see how it works with my doctored up Basses/Tuba part and if my eyes hurt that night, buy the part the next day to use and then just own it. It's quite fast and 'fugue' like in spots. Too fast to be thinking about notes and transposing ledger lines.