View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default there much risk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I'm wondering, since I don't have ready access to a bowmaker to bounce questions off of - and I imagine other bassist might wonder -

How is it determined that a stick would be improved by re-cambering? I suppose there is a rule of thumb about how much camber there should be, relative to something else? Or is it just a "flex-and-guess" kind of thing?

I have a pretty good idea what's involved in the job, but I wonder - is there much risk of damaging the stick?

Finally - if it is determined that a stick should be re-cambered, how much of an improvement (assuming a good stick to begin with) can be expected?

Thanks!
A particular Bow probably has its own 'sweet spot' where it plays best as fat as camber goes. Some sticks are not as good as others and may not do all that you want it to. Over cambering a bow back and forth weakens its grain so get it right the first time.

If a bow has too much or too little Camber or is bent to one side or the other then it may help it play batter to set it where it needs, what ever that might be. Cambered sideways towards the stings, inwards is not the best thing if more than slight. Straight centered or slightly to the right to counter slight hand angle bend is preferred.

I have re-cambered about 80 Bows personally, some more than once. It's no fun but the results are rewarding. Most were done on import KSB Bows. My Bazin went to Sue Lipkins for a re-hair when I first got it some years back. She mentioned that the head was twisted away from the center of the stick to one side. She offered to try and straightened it IF I had insurance in case it broke as this was a stiff piece of wood (Pau d'arco/Ipe) made over 100 years ago and has settled in this position. My insurance only covers loss or accidents, not repair trials so I opted to do it myself when the bow returned. I re-bent the bow and got half the twist out and added a big more camber. Now it's one of my favorite bows to use. Maybe I was lucky. A great bow and it didn't break.

Be careful and go slow. I use the stove to heat it, bend it in place and then put the bow in the freezer for a few minutes to cool it fast. It works for me! Be careful not to burn the wood. Remove the Frog and set the screw aside. keep the hair away from the heat as you slowly turn the bow while heating and move slightly up n down the sick between the tip and the grip. Try this on a cheap bow first and don't force the bend. Let it 'give' to you little by little. Head back and forth till it is slightly over the bend you want as the wood will settle back some. Good luck.