View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up back and forth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Skelton View Post
I was in the display room stood at the opposite end, and heard a young freelancer trying out the basses you had at ISB. This confirmed what I heard back at your place during my bass search a few years back. The Hart was definitely the standout in a collection of fine basses. Sorry i missed it on stage.
I have been back and forth between the Hart and the Old Lion in recent weeks. Last week, I brought the Hart to a rehearsal strung with G,D,A Original Flexocors, a string that I was never crazy about and it had my old favorite E/C, a Stark 92 Flex. I thought the bass suddenly had a new lease on life.

Last night I brought the Old Lion to the same rehearsal space (new music and conductor each week) and my buddy beside me said he can hear me but not feel me like he did with the Hart but also heard me even better with the Hart.

Last week we had a big orchestra, 3 basses and with lots of brass and the Hart cut thru everything. Last night we did some Haydn and Mozart, a smaller orchestra and just 2 basses. So if the Hart is louder with a bigger orchestra than the Old Lion is with a smaller orchestra, then the proof is in the pudding. The Old Lion is a good workhorse instrument but not to be confused with something on the level of the Hart.

One main reason I only used the Hart on only 2 out of 16 concerts last season besides variety was that I am always worried it will get bumped or damaged. If not for that underlying fear, I probably would have used it for everything, rehearsals included. I think I should go back to my old NYC ways and take only my best bass out regardless of the gig being major or minor. My old Italian bass was in my hands for 15 years of NYC area gigs and I only recall it being replaced once for a week while it was being repaired.

I once asked a bassist friend who has played with the Philly Orchestra what should I do to get my playing back like it was when I was younger and playing full time? He replied, "Play ONE bass". At that time, I was between the Gilkes, Martini and the Hart. With the first two now sold, I think I have my answer on a 'silver platter'.