View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Humm, where to start..

The Top is in terrible shape and would be Expensive to fix. The level of work I usually request would run 8-12k for the Top alone and the damage would still be visible.

The Neck is broken in at least 2 places so that is a 3-5K repair for a Graft and Fingerboard.

The back has fairly nice wood but the purfling, not done so nice IF it is original.

The Neck Block or Blockless is a question. Usually a Blockless Neck 'hump' squares off at the heel and the ribs touch or slide into a mortise in the neck. I don't see that here. Having a neck block area that is 'humped' is not necessarily a guarantee it was blockless so I will show the typical Hump on a bass of mine that WAS Blockless when I got it and one that was blockless at birth but 'corrected' later. Two other basses that I can remember I had the same style but blocked when I got them.

Not every Bass 'called' Tyrolean is from the Tyrol. Some are just German or Czech or Bohemian or Austrian or even American basses and far as blockless-looking basses and some that are not!

The Bassbar may not be original by now or if so, could have been altered and trimmed down. If integral, left in as carved from the top, then that would be original.

Age? 100-130 years old as a basic range.

FYI, The blockless construction is basically a Guitar[Lute method of building. some of which is still done today like flush ribbed basses from Vienna and Prague as well as other Austro-Hungarian regions and bordering areas. Nothing with basses has EVER been standardized 100%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tyrolean6.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	3656  Click image for larger version

Name:	frontbody.gif
Views:	741
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	3657