View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road
Default Best mini cardioid condenser for DB

I just picked up an Acoustic Image Coda R series III a couple of days ago and have already gigged twice with it. It's a fantastic piece of gear, IMO. I used it outdoors on the 4th combined with my Ampeg PB212H cab which boosts it from 400W to 500W and I was able to run it half Master and half gain on the channel. It was quite loud with no feedback. The pick-up I used was the K&K bassmax with no pre-amp. I was able to run the EQ flat.

I suppose that pick-up is perhaps as good as any;- I've never heard a pick-up that was substantially better, just slightly different in one way or another. Still, I want something that amplifies the acoustic sound of my bass now that I have an amplifier that will easily allow microphones.

So I am going to tread into that quagmire of miniature condenser microphones. The Acoustic Image has phantom power, so it makes it possible to use those mic systems that either will work without a separate pre-amp or have the pre-amp powered by the phantom power so it doesn't need a battery (I am particularly averse to battery powered gear). Also, I don't need a blender because the Coda has 2 channels and I can blend on the amp very easily, so blenders aren't a necessary part of my strategy.

I didn't expect to find so many mics that could be used this way, so I need some help figuring out which is most useful. The ones I have found that qualify for use in this fashion are very diverse in price, but generally have fairly similar specs, although some appear to have more low end sensitivity than others. I'm willing to spend more money if it really makes a difference in sound quality. Keep in mind I use a 5-string DB and need some sensitivity down to 30 Hz. Most of the ones here will accomplish that by proximity effect if no other way, and the cheapest option seems to have the most low end down to even 10Hz, although I see that much low frequency sensitivity as a potential problem.

Below are some that I am considering and I welcome suggestions on the pros and cons of these, or other ones I might have missed, from anyone who has experience with miniature condensers that mount on the instrument. I'm interested most in getting a much, much better sound than any pickup produces without getting feedback at a small venue volume level. I think I listed them in descending price order or close to that. The top one sells on the web for around $1500, and the bottom one for a little more than $100. Except for the AKG, they are cardioid pattern. I'm not sure how to describe the AKG 411 pattern since it is a different type of design. Anyway, post your experiences positive or negative with any of these or others that are similar in function and design.

DPA 4021 (pre is built into the capsule, but amazingly small despite that)

AMT SB25 (pre is box that can run on phantom)

SD Systems LCM 100 XLR (pre is box that can run on phantom)

Audio Technica ATM 350 (pre is box that can run on phantom)

Shure Beta 98 H/C (pre is box that can run on phantom)

K&K Golden Bullet mic XLR (pre is box that can run on phantom)

Audio Technica Pro 35 (pre is box that can run on phantom)

AKG C 411 (this is a surface mount type contact condenser mic, it is not a piezo) (pre is box that can run on phantom)

Last edited by David Powell; 07-07-2007 at 08:07 PM.