View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
I've had c-ness envy forever, and I have the chance to add an extension to my bass. Anybody care to comment on whether adding an extension has affected the sound or playability of their instrument? Thanks, all.
Well, many say it helps open up the low end by extending the E. I have had Extensions added to some Basses that I had played for awhile as a regular 4-string and some during restorations in which the Bass was un-playable when I acquired it so I would have to make my judgments on the Basses that I had previous experience with.

Basses of mine past and present that I knew before and after include my Bisiach labeled Bass, the Gilkes and the Martini mainly. I only played a few notes on the Hart and Prescott before the restoration as they were in dis-repair so they don't really count in this group.

All 3 Basses showed some improved low end but the Gilkes got a new Bassbar and other internal work in the process. The Bisiach got a Bassbar replaced and then the Extension afterwards several months later. The Martini got mainly just the Extension added and after its recent restoration, it was re-fitted after the Neck graft and new Fingerboard. The Martini had some interior work done as well but the Bassbar is the same.

Each Bass with an extension added felt more 'whole' to me because I could play all the parts as written. Also, the Low end seems just a bit heavier under my feet which is a good thing. I would venture to say that without additional work done to a Bass, the Ext. will only change the Bass slightly if noticeable at all but for the better in my opinion.