View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
Thanks, Ken, that's helpful. Any comments about an effect on pizz sound in the jazz realm?
Jazz Pizz?. Well, Bowing the Lows you get more volume but with an AMP it's different. Depending one the type of Extension you get and who makes it there can be variable results. My Friend has one by a NYC Shop and it is just Poop in my opinion. It is Maple with a thin Ebony fingerboard. When you laminate like this, you can get warpage from the pull of the extension piece itself. This is just like a Neck in maple with a thin FB. It always needs dressing over time. make the board thick and maybe add graphite, you add life to it. The solid Ebony ones I have that were made by Arnold and Jeff as well as the ones I have seen and played made by Robertson's are the BEST Fingered/Chromatic Extensions I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them.

I have owned 8 Extensions myself over the years of just about every variety. I will not take anything less that a solid quality Ebony Extension, Chromatic or not!

On the Jazz thing, when ever I've had an Extension on a Jazz gig, I try to find notes to play on it. Not many though because of its slower response of the Low lows. Last night I played a Bach piece with Orchestra with solo for Oboe and Violin. I had a lot of Low D's as it was in D minor and I was actually playing the cello part. With the Bow I could hit is short and quick. With pizz it's not quite the same.