View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Junior Posting Member

Katie Long is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Just my input - we just did Strauss Also Sprach at the RCM. We hired in 5 strings for those of us with no scaffolding and Paul Ellison's opinion seemed to be that the 5ers were much better. The extensions though they have their merits require reaching back behind your head (so you need to find a way of doing it without knackering your shoulders and back) where the 5ers just mean another string to deal with, plus there were some serious extraneous noises coming from the extension desks. Also, make sure your extension keys are in tune if you have themm, as some of ours weren't!
Low notes are a really good thing, but if you are going to get it extended (!) then make sure you get a good one fitted, don't cut any corners because the rattling etc is not a good thing and not something that any player wants in their section. 5ers for me have the edge because you can just put your hand across in position and there it is. Plus the B is very nice. Not that I would have one for normal use as they are very hard work.

I was talking to someone today and over here in the UK the players with extensions tend to get more work especially in contemporary music things...