View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Keyed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Long View Post
Scaffolding is an informal term we use over here! No offence intended!

I should admit that I do really enjoy chromatic extensions as long as they are keyed (the ones where you don't have to reach). It is difficult with the 5 strings to find a string that doesn't sound just like a rumble or a drill or something.

Paul was saying that if you get the right string, the long belcanto, the new evah pirazzi or the permanents (? not sure if it was permanents or flexocore) that the C can be really great. It's a matter of finding what suits you and your bass I guess.
Katie, can you play the single storm 16ths on the keyed extension? Also, how clear does it sound on a 5er? With practice, the fingered/Chromatic extension is the most versatile. Also, you can lock any note you want and change your low string so that the left hand is free to shift.

I think that no single style Low model method is best, just different. I though have found the Fingered/Chromatic Extension to be the best and easiest to use over all as well as the best speaking sounding low notes.

You would have to play one for about a year and try all the various works on it before you can really judge its merits. Reaching back is the easiest part I think. Fighting the sound or hardware or extra strings is more of a drag to me. I have used them all to date and my mind is made up.