View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Delventhal View Post
I ask because I contacted Sue Lipkins about getting on her waiting list and briefly talked with her about what I would like out of a bow. Not that I would ask her to put a silver tip on my ordered bow, as I have never played/seen any of her sticks with one, and frankly I don't really want one. I'm just curious about what they contribute to a bow.

P.S. The bow I own now is already tip heavy, and I wouldn't dream of altering that to make it worse. LOL.
All of the Bows I have had with 'metal' tips (not sure if they are/were actually silver) came that way. I never thought to change it.

As far as Sue goes, no one alive that I know of makes a better or more consistent Bow. I believe she has a Masters in Bass performance from Julliard. Perhaps that is one skill that helps her make the Bow play as they do. Also, she is the only Bass Bow maker I know of with that level of playing and training.

Order a car from someone that doesn't drive and see how it handles. Then try all the cars that person makes. Get my drift?

I have personally owned and used 7 of her bows. Only the last one I acquired (the Sartory model) was actually made for me. The others were bought used with the exception of the competition bow. Perhaps having 6 bows before my order came up helped to know what I wanted. Maybe not!

The fact is that her Bows when new have room to grow. They break in with play time. The more you play it, the better it sounds and handles. This includes you getting used to it as well. My bow is over 2 years old now and needs to be re-haired. For the first year I used it only on occasion due to having other bows, not being used to this one and not wanting to chance an incidents or damage in the field. Within a year the bow statet to 'wake up' as if coming out of a deep sleep. Now, I have to wait till the orchestra season ends to get it re-haired as I wont let it out of my hands. It's the only bow I use with the exception of lesser jobs using little or no bow or testing bows I buy to sell by using them at rehearsals once or twice.

The more she knows about your playing and the better you can explain it, the better the bow she can make for you. She has a gift.