View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Posting Member

Ruben E garcia is on a distinguished road

[quote=wayne holmes;20553]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben E garcia View Post
So my plan stink hum?

ha! stink-that's the word I was looking for. Again, Ruben, , I would start out with something not too complicated to restore- It will be better to go from kinda simple to the more complicated. I would get a bass that you would ,at least, have to remove and replace the top. If it needs a neck repair, too, then you are off and running.

My view is that luthiery is an art. We are working with something that will do more than a piece of furniture will do. It will produce music, hopefully, and the purpose of music is to touch the heart. A well made cabinet or bed-frame will not do this, unless there is some pathology present. An art is a skill that you develope by experience, study and observation. Since we are now in the information age, the process is made easier. One thing I have learned is that if you want to do something good, there will always be others who will help you accomplish it.

So, my suggestion is to find a restorable that you will have to do major repairs to but not a complete massive makeover. Once you get the bass, you could put a picture of it on this forum and let the questions begin- your first question could be-where do I start? We will tell you what to do and what tools you will need. For right now, you need to make sure that you have a space and a table to do the work-Don't use the dining room table like I did my first year. The women folk, although quietly supportive, really don't like that. If you have a shop-great-you can make a bass operating table with a 4 by 8 3/4 plywood and saw-horses and then make a cradle to elivate the bass for clamping, etc. You will need about 50 clamps for the top- you can make these yourself and save a lot of money.

This is my opinion and experience. Hopefully others will share theirs.

Good luck Ruben!
I do have a small workshop, I’m a hobbies, so nothing too fancy and I don’t have all the tools, I do have, Stanley chisels (I want better ones), Drill press, 14” bank saw, no table saw but circular saw, a bunch of saws, a bunch of claps (I know the claps that u are saying I will make 50), bench, router, orbital sander, bench planer 5”, few useless gouges that I got from HD, craftsman cordless drill,… I’m thinking on really getting an Jet 10” joint/planner combo only $300, and a bell sander.