Thread: Intonation Test
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Sorry, not the end of "test"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lorisco View Post
I have been told by some bass makers that you can’t get perfect intonation where all the frets are in tune, but I’m not sure that is true.

So here is the test:

Using a meter, and with fresh strings, set your intonation (12 fret harmonic matching the 12 fret fretted note). Once your intonation is set, with a meter, check the E on the B string, A on the E string, D on the A string, etc…. across the neck.

Are these notes exactly in tune or flat / sharp?
Hitting the harmonics and the fretted note is just one part of tuning up and down the neck. The fretted note is subject to, not only the amount of pressure applied, but to the actual set-up of the instrument as well. This can and most likely WILL vary among players having an impact (negatively or positively) to the overall tuning up and down the neck.

Just one more important piece of information left out here. If you are fortunate enough to have a bridge that allows variable adjustments, you must also consider the saddle adjustment (i.e. forward or backward) to shorten or lengthen the strings length from the nut. This will help you 'dial-in' the fretted note with the same harmonic.

Then, if you are fortunate enough to play a well made bass, while you may not get your neck tuned perfectly up and down the fretboard, you may just find you can get pretty damn close.