View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question 5-String set-up Q..

I posted this as well in the String section but I feel it is as much a set-up issue as it is a string issue if not more.

I started this over a year ago when working on the 6th. I had originally flex 92s, G & D and Perms, A, E and B. I then put the 92s on the A & E as well and just kept the Perm B on. Then after all that, I ended up doing the Storm on my Gilkes which was out on trial when I started this thread. Having a 41" SL made the Ext. fingering easier and closer. Also, I had just put a new set of EVs on the Bass and all the notes just popped out nicely. Then, I sold the 5er so it was no more choices between the Ext. or 5er for the low note works.

Now I have another 5er just in and this Bass is even bigger than the last one. The new one is bigger everywhere. If that was a 7/8, then this one is at least a 4/4 if not a 5/4. The Lower bout just over 30". The center bout is from 17-18". The body is about 48". I will post a page later when I take the pics but for now, I am back on the String hunt..

So, the Bs mentioned (not in any order) were Perms, Spiros (red mittels?), Bels, Heli's (both types) and Super Flexs.. I have also myself used a Jaegar Blue/med. and have seen 92s, Orig FC, FC and Orig Flex Bs pictured as well on European Basses.

Also, my new 5er is only about a 41" string length. This is due to the high placement of the FFs.

So.. now that we have had a year or so since we last discussed this, have any feelings changes as to what the better Bs are to try?. This Bass has Obligatos on now with a FC 'B' on it. The B feels too soft. With the Bridge curve, the B is so much lower to the body than the E and A. Should I move the B to a different Post like I do with reversing the E and As on 4-strings?