View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up humm nice bass

Neither maker if you ask me. The bass is plain and simple to my eye and unpurfled from what I can see. The Scroll looks much nicer than the body. Perhaps the bass was not by a professional maker or by an apprentice but the shop master made the scroll. The FFs want to be Brescian or something old but this looks 19th century to me all the way.

Baldontoni is a fairly specific maker with his basses. I have seen pics of only one that was not a Guitar model. My bass although known to many over the years as a Storioni is probably just loosely attributed to him because of the Elgar book. Some agree it is and some say not. It's a fantastic bass so it doesn't really matter. Someone great made it and one day we might know who.

On your bass, it looks like a few others I have seen in that it is simple and nondescript in its features. Look thru all the cornerless basses in my thread and compare.

I am going to move this to the Italian Bass section where it belongs..

If you want it added to the Cornerless Thread of mine, just ask otherwise it will stand on its own in good company.