View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb all things to all people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
+1

Seems like all the newer strings are in the same direction; fat, soft, sloppy... I'd like to see some advances and new choices in good orchestra strings rather than low tension strings trying to be all things to all people.
I don't know too many strings that can be called all things to all people. I think back a few decades Spiros worked for most for Jazz players and Flexocors for Classical cats. Now we have more choices to add to the mix, or is that confusion? lol

Too clarify my testing, the Candi is a softer tensioned instrument so the strings feel softer on it. The Sirleto is a tighter feeling action. This is also because the Candi has a new neck and thick fingerboard with CF graphite inlaid. The stiffer neck takes the tension off the strings and makes them feel softer. Before the new neck/fb job was done the bass played much tighter. Maybe my comment on the soft/loose description was not 100% accurate. The exact same strings (the 2nd set) on the Sirleto feel quite tight with a normal neck on the thinner side with an average fingerboard, not thin or thick. On the Sirleto they are NOT loose at all.

Like any string, you have to try them on YOUR bass to know for sure. Please remember that if your bass goes into a restoration and gets a totally new neck and FB like the Candi did, the strings could feel different afterwords depending on what the neck was like beforehand.

They play so effortless on the Candi. So much so that I have been grooming the Candi (warming up on it) to use on any programs I have coming up that doesn't need a C-extension. Actually, I was thinking for quite awhile about putting a C-extension on the Candi but that idea is on the shelf at the moment. I have too many other projects already going. Sending the Candi in now will just stop the work on other basses in the same shop needing to be completed so it just has to wait.

They these strings if you can. The bow great and sound sweet. The neck closest strings would be the Evah weichs. The Passiones bow slightly better, just slightly. The Candi has been tested with those as well. The Candi actually sounds great for Jazz with either string but these lighter tensioned Passiones sound sweeter with a bit more Muah than even the Evah's.