View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Junior Posting Member

Alex Verbree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
An all purpose string would be great, too bad it's impossible. My point is that most the newer strings seem geared to players with no chops putting a priority on jazz but who also have to bow on occasion. :-/

I'm a 90% classical player, with a bit of folk that I tend to pizz. I personally prefer a lower tension string, including for orchestral settings. I find that instead of giving me more volume, higher tension strings generally choke up my bass and make it hard to get a warm, deep sound. I had a set of Original Flat Chromes on my bass for about six months, and it was the worst $400 I've ever spent. It wasn't a total loss, as my current set up is the Flat Chrome G with Bel Canto DAE, but with the full OFC set on my bass it was as if my bass had a big practice mute all the time.

Perhaps I am part of a growing group of classical bassists who prefer this sort of lower tensioned set up. I don't see the point in putting these monstrously thick cables on my bass that do nothing but choke up my sound and make it harder to play.

But then, my opinion's likely moot. I'm considering going gut!

Cheers,

Alex