View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
If I went to a gig and the band demanded I play a Fender, I would turn around and walk out..
Really? With no disrepect intended, does income from music make up the bulk of your living? Or, perhaps, is your schedule full enough that you can afford to walk out of a paying gig?

Understand that I came to Ken's forum to read about and learn more about the multiple facets of playing and owning double basses; I'm unqualified and disinclined to discuss the instruments that Ken builds, but anytime a statement like the above is made, I'm curious about the person who made it...

Since my personal taste in electric basses was set long before I learned about Ken's instruments (in 1971, when I bought my first Fender - a 1969 Precision), I'll happily play acoustic, 5 or 6 string or fretless basses when either the music or the person hiring me requires them. I'm honestly not trying to stir up anything here - I simply wonder how you have the freedom to walk out of gigs because you don't like being told what instrument to play.