View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Posting Member

Roger Vaughan is on a distinguished road

Any self-respecting carpenter will be affronted if you tell them they can't use their Estwing hammer. They just ain't hearing that kind of thing unless it's a sensible point in their view.

Also it's easy to spew attitude without "being there" or having a real context to the question. Me, I'm only doing pickup gigs or small cover gigs, and the above scenario's just not likely to happen.

If a musical director tells me he wants an instrument, he'll give a clue about why. Now I'm being asked to have a tool-box, and that's different. If a band represents a real business venture and offers a decent livelihood, it again becomes a tool-box issue. I'll attempt to get 'er done.

But I've been hounded by an obnoxious, aggro, "dues-all-paid-up" drummer before about what bass, how I played, etc., and had to finally decide that I was doing just fine and didn't need to hear it. So now, generally when I walk into a situation, I am the bass player. I'm not there to get a bass lesson or be 'placed' with another's choice of instrument, etc. You will either dig it or not dig it, and that's the deal. Same with instrument choice. If I really want the gig, I'll be looking for what I have to do.

But don't cross me, man...!!