View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Rene Roy View Post
Cool bass Jeff...I have it's little sister here!

Ken, these brass plates are very unique (and original to the bass...so useful in identification)...and seeing as Jeff has two pictured, I have one, you have seen one...it's a shame we can't put a finger on who made these!
I have seen versions of those on some English Basses and some German as well from Mittenwald. I am sure they were for sale just like the Baker gears were as well as the Mirecourt gears sold to 'Hawkes & Son' that they put on all of their German imports.

Eric, can you show the whole bass maybe and not just little pieces of it?

Also, that bass you have called a Gemunder on your site now is a German bass and possibly Mittenwald. Most of the Gemunder basses if not all of them from NY were German Imports. I have a copy of their old catalog page from 1892 in which is titled "Imported German Basses". The brothers who started in Mass. (senior) were out of the making by then and the sons/cousins of both parents running the firm and importing. Of course that would put that bass after 1892 when they first started the firm. I remember this bass when Gary first emailed me the pics of it.

On the brass plates, any maker or shop could have fitted them. I have seen old basses with these gears and I think most of them were on plates. Some looked original and some not as far as the plates under the gears go.