View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Sagee View Post
Hi Ken
When you say that when one buys a bass from a shop they tend to inflate the value of the bass to justify what one has paid, in my case, the seller did not tell me what the bass was worth to justified what I paid nor did he know where the bass was from or anything.
When I told you that I had my bass looked at by 2 renowned luthiers, there opinion was strictly on looking at the bass and giving their opinion on age and price. One of these luthiers who is from Montreal is Mario Lamarre and if you are hip to serious luthiers these days, he is one of the best in Canada and highly considered around the world. The other luthier who saw my bass in Italy is Sergio Scaramelli who is one of the heavy luthiers in Ferrara, Italy who also builds double basses and does restoration.
I can't believe that having had the bass looked at by these world class luthiers that they could be off almost a hundred years compared to your opinion about my bass. As far as price goes, you say you have sold similar instruments for 5 or 6 thousand dollars in the past which if someone would offer me such an amount I would burst out laughing and walk out obviously.
I respect your experience, name and opinion but have difficulty accepting your evaluation and the age of my instrument. Maybe since the two luthiers I mentioned, had the bass in front of them and weren't dealing with photos such as the ones I sent you and therefore they had a better view of the instrument and were able to understand a bit more about this instrument.
I really am not trying to deny your expertise in anyway since you also have been in the business for quite some time and have seen many basses in your lifetime. I just don't get the huge difference in opinion you have given me.
Respectfully Yours.

P.S.
When I said 7/8 I was talking American since we are in America and since 4/4 is not a term used very much anywhere these days.
I know them both, Sergio I know in person. I did not see the bass in person so I can't tell what they can tell. Looking at the bass inside and out gives you more info than a few pics. The scroll button looks Czech as does rest of the bass, just across the German border.

Did you like the pics I showed you and haw they matched up? Older basses show playing wear. Your bass doesn't seem to have met with a Bow all that often as there is no edge wear that I could see. There was no Jazz in the 1800s.

So, my opinion is just that, my opinion from your pics and my experience.