View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

Sid Sagee is on a distinguished road

Hey Ken
Yes thanks for your photos. As you say: They ( Lamarre and Scaramelli) got to see the bass and not photos, so they had a better perspective on being able to give their opinion on age and pricing. I never said nor did anyone else that my bass was a collectors item but then again it ain't any old cheap german bass just because you say it seems to not have been played with a bow very much during it's existence from just looking at a photo. We both know that the instrument was not in the best hands for a longest period of time which is obvious by some bad repair jobs, therefore its value may not be in the high ranking ones but if what Scaramelli says about it being from the 1800s is true then the instrument is worth a lot more than 5 or 6 thousand dollars as you say considering any decent instrument today sells for double that amount let alone something from the 1800s.
Everyone on the planet knows that there was no jazz in the 1800s. Not sure if you're pulling my leg or think I'm from another planet or what regarding this matter but in any case, most jazz player starting from the 1920s who not much later on got to travel and managed to buy great old Italian and French basses for peanuts compared to today and hardly ever played those instruments with a bow and so, almost 100 years later (2017) I would doubt if anyone could spot how much those basses were bowed after all this time considering all the various repairs that have been done to these instruments after all these years.
Please correct me if I'm wrong !!!
After all of this being said and as you say they got to see the bass so, it ain't fair on my part to just throw some photos at you for a realistic evaluation.
Thank you so much Ken for your expertise and time. Very kind and generous of you to spend this time in helping me out.
Cheers.

Last edited by Sid Sagee; 02-25-2017 at 04:42 PM.