View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ken, anything to report at this time?
I completed and shipped a bass last week with these 3-way switches. I didn't notice all that much in the SC mode. It was a little dry and weaker as compared to out normal Parallel wiring.

I spent years on the development of this pickup we have. The object was to have two coils in each pickup, each coil like a jazz bass but hooked together for a sweeter sound with humbucking as opposed to the standard Series HB wiring.

It almost seems like going backwards. Making a pickup to sound almost single coil in series humbucking and then cutting off one coil. These coils have less wire turns than a Fender J PU does and we use ceramic magnets as opposed to Alnico like in the Fenders.

Every time I listen to someone and try making a Bass to sound like a Fender I feel like someone is telling me to make my Fillet Mignon taste like a Happy Meal..

I don't think this 3-way is something we will be adding anytime soon. For me, the bass is fine without any switches at all. The Series gives you a bit more low end power and equally less highs. For now, its 2-way or no-way..