View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The 92s and the Evah's DON"T compare, period. They are completely different strings. I had the Weichs Ext. E/C set on the Martini for a few months and just took them off. I don't think I played the Bass on any Jobs besides a big band gig but I did practice quite a bit on them before putting a new set of 92 Starks on the bass with the E/C which I have still a few left as they are not made anymore.

I played one concert on the Mougenot with the Weichs regular E, no Extension. It was mainly a Pops/Jazz thing but 'American in Paris' has some fast parts to play. I think the Strings worked fine for that venue.

The Evahs do not respond as fast as Steel when digging in and the upper notes choke a little like Gut strings or more. The flexibility actually works against them I think.

I think they are a great hybrid string for the right bass and right player. I have Belcantos on the Hart and when that set was on the Martini, I think it sounded its best as well. The Flex 92s is always a good set to go back to in my opinion. They bow great, the G is smooth and they are dark sounding with an edge under the bow.
Great review.