View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Linings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
Ken, It doesn't necessarily mean that they are not Prescotts either. I have gone thru that thread extensively. That is what got me on TB in the first place. However, I don't remember seeing any outer linings that looked like these on basses other than Prescotts. Would you agree that this Nahrmann three stringer is the real deal? I saw it and played it in the flesh. He believes the tailpiece to be original.

BG
Brian, the 3-stringer is a Prescott. The Linings have zero to do with the ID process. the FFs and Scroll is the main focus here as far as I am concerned. We see linings on Allen and Bates Basses as well as other Olde Yanks!

If a dealer claims Prescott, he can charge more money than if he says 'Prescott School'. Please sit back a moment and look at the possibility of those other Basses NOT being Prescott. The 'NOT' factor benefits the Dealer/seller and owner much less than the 'YES' factor. I don't care so much about the $ factor as I prefer the truth who the actual maker might be. I have looked at several 'claimed' Prescotts over the last couple of years including some with famous Jazzers as owners past and present. I am sorry to say that in the case of this Pedigree I am often the bearer of Bad News!

This means nothing to the credibility of the actual Bass or the sound of it. It just means that there were other good makers making Basses at the same time that also used outer Linings and Busetto corners. If the Scroll and especially the FFs are different, then I suspect the Bass may be not be from the head of the School but rather one of the followers.