View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis McNutt View Post
Thanks, Ken

Will try to post additional high res photos tomorrow.
Looking at more pics on that Link (and not so easy to work with I might add), I can't see how anyone with decent eyesight would consider this an old Bass. The Back, Ribs and Scroll are like brand new. The Top which is a softer wood is easier to antique, crack and re-glue. That label is new as well. My Simandl book from the mid 1960's shows more fade in the paper than that label dating from well over 200 years ago, perfect ink and paper. Not possible in your wildest wet dream! It looks like this bass has never had any use with a bow either other than maybe recent delicate playing.

The actual playing wear, wear and tear and life experience an old bass gets is just not shown here in any of the pictures.

I hope you didn't pay too much for this. If you want to talk about who sold you this and for how much and as what kind of bass, email me.

In the last few months alone, one player I know got a full refund arranged for an expensive Italian bass and another if he was smart, gave the faked bass back after the trial or bought it for much much less if the dealer didn't take it back to wait for another poor uninformed soul.

Also;
Quote:
Here are some measurements:
Lower Bout 59cm
Center Bout 37 cm
Upper Bout 51.1cm
String Length 105cm
What's with the metric?.. lol.. In USA NO ONE knows metric without a calculator. I use only inches to list my basses as it's universally accepted and no one ever complains. Give out CM's and it's right o the calculator.. lol

Save us the trouble and use inches unless you are living in Europe. CMs are even new over there. When the old basses and violins were made, Inches were used from what I have read in old English books.