Thread: a New Breed...
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up better late than never..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Anybody see a bass by Mike Magee? He used to live around here but moved to Pittsburg.
Yes, I have and had it here for a short while to play and check out. It was a sweet sounding bass copied from an Old German bass that he now owns and that I have played beside in the studio as well as sub for the former owner. Catching my breath.. The bass was made in 2009 and shown at the ISB at Penn State so when you asked in 2007, the answer would have been, well.. No or not answered as it was..

He used American Sycamore (Lacewood) for the Back, Ribs and Neck/Scroll. It's a gamba shaped round back with modestly sloped shoulders, fairly deep ribs and a nice bold scroll. The bass played very easily, sounded great and had a very comfortable set-up. It was deep and dark sounding with Pirastro Permanents on it. I almost bought the bass but I had one on commission from Arnold already so I just showed it a few times before it went back. He made it as his personal bass and it's the first one he's made. I look forward to seeing that bass again as well as any others he makes going forward. Mike does good work!