View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Gullen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Show the pics of the Bass please! There were only 4 Bass made that are known of. My Gilkes was made possibly outside the shop but while he worked for Forster. I do not know of any smaller Forster Basses that were made.

If the bass shows up at our next rehearsal (Saturday), I'll take a few pics. When I say the bass is "smaller" I really mean narrower. The mensure/overall length feels "standard" but the width/shape of the top looks like a big 'cello....to my eyes at least. Compared to your Gilkes, it looks more like a 'cello shape....the upper and lower bouts are about the same width, where your Gilkes has a wider bottom (gosh, don't tell her I typed that! ), assuming I'm remembering correctly.

The shoulders are quite tall ('cello shape) which coupled with the fingerboard solo extension, makes for an interesting set up! You really have to crawl up-and-over the bass (or stand on a phone book) to get up into the third octave!

I'll post back when I have more!

Best regards!
Jim

Last edited by Jim Gullen; 05-01-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Adding a little more detail