View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

Alex Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Tyrolean Basses

I do own a Tyrolean bass. Mine had a top-to-bottom (exquisite!) restoration done about two years ago, including new bracing, endpin block, bass bar and new neck with block (copied from the original) and replacing all previous repairs with new cleats/ladder bracing. The original scroll was too weathered to restore. Jed Kriegel did the work and could not have done better.

The top, apparently, was unpurfled, according to Jed. When he replaced most of the damaged edging, he also purfled the bass. Might this be an indication of its origin? Germanic- or Northern Italian-style? - Probably an indication of cost-cutting measures.

Of the many basses I auditioned (of equal or far greater "value"), it was the clear winner in tone, "cushion", volume and playability (at least for my taste). I probably paid somewhere in the upper range of prices for Tirol basses. I have seen them go for much less while still retaining their footed neck, but I think that the previous owner probably paid more to have the bass restored than those basses cost! That said, I have also seen them go for much more, as well! Considering its wonderful sound, and the sound nature of the work, I think I got a good deal.

Of course, I'm "just a player", not a luthier. From what you've said, I think I did the right thing buying a fully restored bass for more, instead of buying one blockless and hoping for the best.

I would be curious if any European luthiers could offer more insight on my bass. I think the f-holes look more like your Germanic Tyrolean than your Italian-style Tyrolean. The scroll looks closer to the Italian-style, thought I don't have the bass in front of me right now to compare. Also, it's a copy, not the original.

The f-holes on your Italian-style Tyrol bass are very distinctive!

Last edited by Alex Smith; 06-25-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add detail