View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default well..

5-string?

From looking at the few pictures you are showing me and without any actual measurements of the bass other than the 3/4 size, I can't see why you would pursue this as a 5-string when the neck is a 4-string size.

With comfortable measurements for playing, the strings at the Nut should be spaced from 9-10 mm on average center to center. I have seen basses at 11 and 12mm as well but that is what I called wide. I think 42 mm across is about average without actually measuring anything. I will however measure MY 5-string Hofner that was made AS a 5-string with a wide neck and fingerboard.

Now, bass wise, in USA 5s are rare, very rare. The vast majority of players going low use a C-extension of one type or another. In Europe, 5s are more popular but to the up and coming players, the C-extension is becoming more and more accepted over the 5-string bass.

So, why take a 3/4 bass or minimal construction and re-work it into a 5 string that might not be big enough to carry that low string.

Can we see the Top inside and outside as well as all the other angles of the bass in and out?