View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The Mids can wash out the penetration of the sound of the bass because when you boost treble the lower end of the boost is the high mids. When you boost the bass the upper end of the bass is the low mids. With the mids cut slightly, the bass and treble are tighter. Tighter sound cuts thru more than a 'mushy' everything boosted sound. This is my opinion. Take it of leave it. For me, the bass should sound like a bass. The mids help shape the bass and treble. Boosting the mids bleeds or blends the tones together but cutting them notches the sound. Try boosting the bass and treble all the way and then cut the mids all the way and see what I am talking about. This may not be the exact EQ you are looking for but you will see better what I am getting at.
IMO, the 3-band eq on the Smith Bass gives the player complete tone control (post adjusted amp eq: however that may be set to the players taste). Using your explanations above and for the sake of argument, lets say your 3-band eq (tone controls) are layed out as follows:

Bass: 30Hz - 300Hz
Mid: 200Hz - 2KHz
Treble: 1.2KHz - 12KHz

Again, the above frequencies, for each tone control, are theoretical for this discussion, but not unrealistic. If I knew the actual Smith Bass, Treble, and Mid Controls frequency ranges, I would've used those. Nonetheless, the above example will help represent my case well.

In your explanation above, if you relied solely on "the upper end of the bass" (fully boosted) that include the "low mids" (or say 200Hz) and relied on the "lower end of the treble" (fully boosted) that include the "high mids" (or say 2KHz), you've just eliminated everything else that is Mid (i.e. everything between 300Hz - 2KHz). It is what is between 300Hz - 2KHz (that the bass and treble controls cannot cover) that I am speaking of. Without it, good luck trying to "cut" through the mix, particularly in a live setting. In the studio one can overproduce anything.

I totally agree with your statement "the mids help shape the bass and treble". It's everything (bass, treble, and mid controls) from 30Hz to 12KHz that make the difference in the end. How the individual shapes that in the mix, makes all the difference for the bass cutting through the mix.