View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb History of the American Bass (2)

I have now owned 2 old Yankee Basses and one new one as well as an old English Bass that was restored in 19th century New England. I have great respect for these Bass Pioneers. Both of my older Basses are from the Prescott School. One is by A. Batchelder & Son, 1875 and the other a 7/8 Prescott c.1820 which I sold in 2006.

I have seen many Yankee Basses at other shops both pictured and in person. Some of them have replaced Scrolls and a few Basses I have seen have old Yankee type Scrolls but look to be European made Basses that were repaired here. When I was a young Bassist 35 years ago the only American Bass mentioned was Prescott. Since I started looking closely at this in the last few years it is clear to me that the Prescott name has been used much too often in naming an olde Yankee. Even Basses owned by famous players that I have seen I have to be honest with my opinions and say Prescott ‘School’ but ‘not’ a Prescott. Prescott was not the first maker of Bass instruments but his output and success made him the most prolific Yankee maker. Let's 'hunt' those Yankee Basses down and get them cataloged up here.......

All of my Basses can be found here regardless if they have been sold already; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/

These are some of the names that popped up on the TB thread I started; Prescott, Dearborn, Bates, J.B. Allen, Tewksbury..And Prescott attributed Basses owned by Scott Lafaro and Reggie Workman that have different FFs ad Scrolls than the other Prescotts we have seen.

Also, George and August Gemunder who moved here from Europe and settled in NY after starting out in Mass. as well as Czech born Joseph Bohmann who set-up shop in Chicago around 1888.

Yankee Bass owners & fans, Speak out!